Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Little Introduction to lettucentertain!

So, lettucentertain is what, you ask? lettucentertain (let-us en-ter-tain) is a social community for thrifty creatives. A place to come together to swap and share ideas on anything from good food, to decorating, to entertaining and weddings all with an emphasis on makin' the most out of your buck!
It started with my boyfriend, Michael, and I coming together as a unit (a little over 3 years ago now), and although we shared all of the same hobbies like entertaining, decorating, spending time with family, friends and some good food, we were both starting a new chapter in our lives on Vashon Island, WA (a 15 minute ferry ride from Seattle) and our pockets were never very full. So, these past few years have been creative and tight, but we've made it and have been enjoying ourselves more often times than not!

Luckily for me, Michael is a very talented Web Designer, so for lack of a better word(s) - I've got the hook up.
Roughly about 6 months ago I came up with this idea for lettucentertain and we've been honing it every since. I know for me, I'm always looking for new, inventive ideas to put my spin on in the kitchen or really any other room in the house.

It all began with my grandmother Nancy's stash of Martha Stewart magazines. Martha has, and will always have a special place in my heart for with the combination of all of her wonderful articles, photographs, books and the wonderful cooks, green thumbs and decorators in my family - I have all the inspiration I could ever want! But, as I got older and realized my Turkey Hill Manor days were yet to arrive where I could dedicate a room to ribbons and wraps, so I decided I'd have to get crafty and creative because a Barista (turned Florist) can only make so much green in a day! I started a binder of clip-its and snip-its from 'Martha Stewart Living', 'Real Simple', 'Dwell', newspaper articles and handwritten notes from summers of going through my grandmother's cookbook collection. It's my creative bible to living my good life. My "go-to-pal" when I'm inspired to give the bedroom a face-lift, or whip up a quick snack for having guests over or need some new ideas on how to package a friend's gift. Now, it's become the source for my brand new baby, lettucentertain.

The name was derived from a poem called 'The Garden' I found via the fabulously genious Google. However, it had to be tweaked a little (sharin' the 'e') as I couldn't purchase the domain lettuceentertain.com. Ha. But, we're makin' it work!
Here is the poem. I thought it was clever!

T H E G A R D E N:
Come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses…

FOR THE GARDEN OF YOUR DAILY LIVING PLANT THREE ROWS OF PEAS:
1. Peace of mind
2. Peace of heart
3. Peace of soul

PLANT FOUR ROWS OF SQUASH:
1. Squash gossip
2. Squash indifference
3. Squash grumbling
4. Squash selfishness

PLANT FOUR ROWS OF LETTUCE:
1. Lettuce be faithful
2. Lettuce be kind
3. Lettuce be patient
4. Lettuce really love one another

NO GARDEN IS WITHOUT TURNIPS:
1. Turnip for meetings
2. Turnip for service
3. Turnip to help one another

TO CONCLUDE OUR GARDEN WE MUST HAVE THYME:
1. Thyme for each other
2. Thyme for family
3. Thyme for friends

WATER FREELY WITH PATIENCE AND CULTIVATE WITH LOVE. THERE IS MUCH FRUIT
IN YOUR GARDEN BECAUSE YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.
- Unknown

Anyhow, I look forward to sharing my ideas and things I have found and created, as well as reading about anyone else who decides to join! Keep posted for more details on when we plan to launch the site so that you can create your free account and start sharing and networking with other like-minded creatives!

Cheers and all my best!

- Elizabeth Gaudet, Founder of lettucentertain

No comments:

Post a Comment